Hey everyone, it is Louise, welcome to our recipe site. Today, we’re going to make a distinctive dish, cheesy ham and potato soup. One of my favorites. For mine, I’m gonna make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Cheesy Ham and Potato soup is one of the most popular of current trending foods in the world. It’s simple, it’s fast, it tastes yummy. It is appreciated by millions daily. Cheesy Ham and Potato soup is something which I’ve loved my entire life. They’re fine and they look fantastic.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can have cheesy ham and potato soup using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Cheesy Ham and Potato soup:
- Prepare 1/2 lb bacon
- Prepare 3 each potatoes diced
- Prepare 1 small onion diced
- Prepare 1 large carrot diced
- Get 1 each celery rib diced
- Prepare 4 tbsp bacon grease
- Get 4 tbsp flour
- Take 2 cup chicken broth
- Take 1 1/2 cup ham diced(or more)
- Get 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Get 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Make ready 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Make ready 1 cup heavy cream
Instructions to make Cheesy Ham and Potato soup:
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan. Crumble and set aside. Save bacon grease.
- While the bacon is cooking: in a 5 qt dutch oven, or similar size soup or stock pot, cover diced potatoes with water and boil till desired tenderness(about 15 mins). Save 1 and 1/2 cups of water from the cooked potatoes and drain.
- After bacon is cooked, remove bacon from pan. Keep 4 tbls(I just kept all the grease in the pan from cooking the half pound of bacon) bacon grease in frying pan and add onion, celery, carrot and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Transfer cooked veggies and bacon grease to the empty soup pot that the potatoes were in.
- Add the 4 tbls flour to the veggies and stir to dissolve flour completely. Cook about 3 mins. (You may want to add a little more flour or bacon grease depending on consistency, but 4 n 4 works well)
- Slowly add the saved water from the potatoes to the pot while stirring to combine. The mixture should be quite thick.
- Add the chicken broth, ham, salt, pepper, cooked potatoes and crumbled bacon and return to simmer. Stir well to combine the liquids.
- Slowly (about a handful at a time) add cheese, let melt a little then stir in. Repeat untill all cheese added and melted.
- Add heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Return to simmer and cook 5 to 20 mins.
- Enjoy! Top with what you like. (Cheese, bacon, green onions, croutons, etc) Or enjoy as is. I like some cheese garlic croutons on mine.
So that is going to wrap this up with this special food cheesy ham and potato soup recipe. Thanks so much for reading. I’m sure that you will make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this site on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading, I hope this site becomes “the place to be” when it comes to cheesy ham and potato soup cooking. Go on get cooking!